In this article, you will find information about the following topics:
- How to create custom fields
- What are the existing field types?
- What happens when a custom field is edited or deleted?
When creating an account in RD Station Marketing, some standard fields will be available for you to use on your Landing Page forms. If you want to obtain other information from your leads, you can create Custom Fields. To do so, simply follow the steps below:
- Access the menu Convert > Custom Fields;
- Click Create custom field. Then, fill in the information corresponding to the creation of the Custom Field:
- Field Name: name of the field that will appear in Lead information or in the creation of a form for your Landing Page. Example: Soccer Team;
- Field Wording: name that will appear on the form within the Landing Page for the Lead to fill in. Example: What is your favorite soccer team?;
- Field Type: determines the expected response for that field. For example, the Phone type accepts only phone numbers, the Multiple Choice type allows you to register some options that your Lead can choose from, etc.
- After you fill in the fields, simply save the changes and use your custom field as you wish.
Each custom field allows different responses within RD Station Marketing, as shown below:
- Open field - Email: usually used to request the contact email of your Lead using the format firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Open field - Number: this field allows responses containing only numbers. It may be used, for example, to request the age of the Lead;
- Open field - Phone: you can use this field for responses that have the same format as a phone number, i.e., (XXX) XXX-XXXX;
- Open field - Text: allows responses containing letters, numbers and symbols. It can be used to request the name, city of origin, university, company and other information about your Lead requiring few words;
- Open field - Large text: just like Open field - Text, it also allows responses containing letters, numbers, and symbols; but provides a larger viewing field for leaving a response;
- Open field - URL: only responses that follow HTTP or HTTPS protocol are allowed in this field. It is useful to request or check the web address related to your strategy.
- Selection field - Single choice: displays multiple options to the Lead simultaneously, restricting selection to only one of the given options. It's useful when there are few options;
- Selection field - Drop-down list: ensures that Leads make a choice from among a set of options via an expandable drop-down list. The option that appears in the list when the Lead visits the conversion page for the first time is a default value (select). To choose another option, the Lead just has to scroll through the list;
- Selection field - Multiple choice: this group is similar to Selection Field - Single choice. Several predefined options are presented to the Leads, but they are free to check as many options as they consider appropriate;
- Selection field - Verification: the Lead must check the option in this field for the form to be sent. It's usually used when you want to confirm a particular piece of information or to emphasize that the Lead agrees to or is aware of something.
When editing a Custom Field:
- Landing Pages, as well as Lead information, are updated with the edited information;
- You can only edit one field type in exchange for another compatible type, i.e., using another type that allows you to maintain the integrity of the information already contained in the existing Leads. For example, you cannot edit a Verification selection field by changing it to a Number field, as this would result in Leads being saved with invalid information in that field;
- If the custom field has never been filled in by a single Lead, then you can change it to any field type.
When deleting a Custom Field:
- The field will be deleted from all Landing Pages that use it;
- The field will be deleted from all your Leads and, consequently, the responses will only be able to be found in the Lead's conversion history;
- Since the information will no longer exist in the Lead profile, you will no longer be able to segment using the deleted custom field, and previously created segmentations will no longer use this field to list Leads.