What is your question about?
- What is the 72-hour propagation time
- What are CNAME records
- How to check if the propagation was carried out correctly
- Is it possible to set up two domains on the same account?
- What is rds.land
- How to identify problems with the subdomain setup
- Why is the subdomain not propagating
- Is it possible to send email marketing campaigns without setting up a subdomain?
- Why set up an email subdomain
- Why set up a landing page subdomain
Propagation is the time it takes for your subdomain to be recognized, i.e., to go online on global servers. Propagation may take from 24 to 72 hours after setup, depending on your server.
CNAME record is a type of existing record available in the Domain Name System (DNS). CNAME records are pathways between RD Station and your hosting server, which allow you to publish landing pages and send email campaigns via your domain. That is, each CNAME record points to another subdomain of corresponding value that connects RD Station to your server.
CNAME records are provided by RD Station at the time of subdomain setup. They include: 5 records for email subdomains and 1 record for landing page subdomain.
The CNAME records must be propagated before you send an email campaign or publish your landing page. To confirm that the propagation has been successful, you can use a tool called What's My DNS.
To search for records in What's My DNS, follow the step-by-step instructions below:
- Enter your subdomain in the first field.
- Select the CNAME record type in the second field.
- Click the gear icon and fill in the Expected value field with the corresponding record value. This procedure will check the propagation of the inserted value on several DNS servers. See the example below:
If all the check marks are green, as in the example above, it means that the records have been propagated. In this case, you can now validate your subdomain in RD Station Marketing, and start sending email campaigns and publishing your landing pages.
No, you can only use one domain per account.
The rds.land acts as a loaned subdomain from RD Station to publish your landing page. That is, before your landing page subdomain is set up or fully propagated, it will be available at the address rds.land/landingpageidentifier, which will be automatically updated to the original address after propagation. Therefore, it is important that you set up your own subdomain to generate credibility and content authority.
How to identify problems with the subdomain setup
You can tell there is a problem with landing page setup if, while testing it, the link contains rds.land.
For example: Suppose your landing page address is materials.mydomain.com/my-ebook, but, when you access it, the link displayed is mydomain.rds.land/my-ebook.
In the case of emails, there are a few signs that indicate problems with the subdomain setup, such as campaigns sending broken links or failure to receive email statistics.
When you check the subdomain records, after waiting 72 hours, and the check marks are not green, there are two possibilities that should be checked:
The records have not been properly configured on your hosting server
Servers use different terminology to identify records. To make setup easier, we try to use the most generic terminology possible in the table showing whitelabel records. However, it is important to pay close attention to terminology when setting up records on your server.
For example, RD Station Marketing expects the value 123456.example.com to be configured for the CNAME record type email.yourdomain. If RD Station Marketing cannot find this exact value, the setup will not be validated. This is true for all subdomain records.
In addition, some servers automatically insert quotation marks at the end of records that have already been set up. If this occurs, you must remove the quotation marks. Otherwise, RD Station will not validate the domain.
2. Records have been set up successfully; however they are still propagating or propagation is oscillating
Usually, propagation takes from 24 to 72 hours. If it takes longer, please contact your hosting server or your company's technical team to investigate what happened.
No, because the email subdomain is like a brand label that overlays RD Station Marketing's brand. This setting allows emails to be sent from within our tool as if they were sent directly from your company. If you do not set up this authorization, your campaign may end up in the spam folder or be marked as unsafe, thus affecting the deliverability of your emails.
In the case of Email Marketing, the so-called whitelabel settings are important in order to:
- Use a custom email address with your brand name as the sender for campaigns created within the platform.
- Create a validation to inform email servers that RD Station Marketing is authorized to send campaigns using your domain.
- Make sure that the links you insert into emails created in RD Station Marketing work properly.
- Create a preventive measure to make sure your leads trust that they are not receiving spam, but actual emails from your company.
By setting up a landing page subdomain you:
- Allow landing pages created in RD Station Marketing to be promoted using a subdomain of your main domain to link the landing pages to your website and contribute to your SEO strategy.
- Create a preventive measure to make sure your landing page visitors trust the content you are publishing and, consequently, see you as an authority on that topic.