As of March 2021, Landing Page pages created in RD Station Marketing will automatically redirect to HTTPS, even when accessed via an HTTP link.
This means that if your Landing Page is accessed via a link in HTTP format and has a valid HTTPS security certificate, the link will automatically redirect to open in HTTPS and will be displayed normally.
Some benefits of using the HTTPS security certificate:
- Provides a better user experience, since the browser will not display a notification that the site is not secure.
- Secure sites may increase time-on-page due to some users not browsing websites with unsecure labels.
- Sites with HTTPS load faster.
- SEO reports are more accurate.
See below the frequently asked questions about this change:
- Why automatically redirect to HTTPS?
HTTPS offers extra protection to websites because data sent from and to the server are encrypted, which means no one can steal, hack or view private data.
HTTPS is so important that Google uses it as a ranking factor in its organic search results.
The Google team has repeatedly expressed the need for HTTPS. For this reason, they released an algorithm update based on this — making it difficult for sites without HTTPS security to achieve a high ranking on SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages).
- What if the domain only exists in HTTP?
If your domain does not have a valid certificate, it will not be possible to perform the redirect, so it will continue to open in HTTP.
- How do I obtain an SSL Security Certificate (HTTPS protocol)?
For the redirect to happen automatically, you must have a valid HTTPS security certificate. Follow the step-by-step guide in this article to perform the setup.
- Will images load on Landing Pages using HTTP after March 2021?
In most cases the images will not open. However, depending on the browser version, it may try to force open in HTTPS.
To resolve this, it is necessary to have the Landing Page open in HTTPS, as in the previous question.
- If I have CSS, Java Script or source files, or any other type of file loaded via HTML using HTTP, will they work on my Landing Page?
This case follows the same behavior as HTTP images, as in the previous question.
In most cases it will not open. However, depending on the browser version, it may try to force open in HTTPS.
To resolve this, it is necessary to have the Landing Page open in HTTPS.
There are no warnings, for now, within RD Station Marketing that prevent the configuration of the Advanced Editing script when opening in HTTP.
However, we recommend that this format should no longer be used.